New and featured titles in Communication Studies
Multiplayer: the social aspects of digital gaming
eds: Thorsten Quandt and Sonja Kröger
Routledge, 2014 Call number: GV1469.17.S63 M85 2014
Communication in the Real World: An introduction to Communication Studies
by Richard G. Jones
Irvington, NY: Flat World Knowledge, 2013
Call number: P90.J66 2013x
Reframing Difference in Organizational Communication Studies: Research, Pedagogy and Practice
edited by: Dennis K. Mumby
Thousand Oaks, Sage 2011
Call number: HD30.3 R45 2011
The Rhetorical Power of Popular Culture: Considering Mediated Texts
by Deanna D. Sellnow
Los Angeles, Sage, 2014
Call number: HM623 .S45 2014
The Sage handbook of interpersonal communication
edited by Mark L. Knapp, John A. Daly
Thousand Oaks, SAGE 2011.
Call number: BF637.C45 I645 2011
Browse additional books: catalog search results for library books in Communications
Selected reference resources:
- Use reference books for an overview of a topic or for citations to more in-depth coverage.
- Links go to library catalog record unless otherwise indicated
Books and journals are organized by what they are about. All subjects are broken into broad categories whch are represented by an alpha-numeric code or "call number."
Communications Studies resources will have call numbers beginning with P87 up to and including P96, but as you can see from examples on this page, Communications Studies can be classed in many areas.
Browse the shelves in Reference room (3000 Level) or in the Bookstacks (1000 Level) in the P87-96 call number areas to get a sense of the subject.
In the Booth Library, call numbers A-H are on the 3rd floor south, J-L on the 2000 level (2nd floor south), M-N on the 4th floor level and P-Z on the 1000 level (lower floor north and south).
Call number areas related to communications: (links go to catalog search results representative for the area)
|HF 5801-HF 6169||Advertising|
|HD 30.3||Communication in Organizations|
|PN 4001-PN 4061||Eloquence, Elocution, Oratory|
|PN 1993-PN 1997||Film Studies|
|HM742||Online Social Networks, Social Media|
|BF 637.C45||Interpersonal Communication|
|P 87-96||Mass Media and Communication|
|PN 1990-PN 1992.9||Broadcasting|
|HD 59 & HM 263||Public Relations & Crisis Communication|
|PN 4121-PN 4130||Public Speaking|
You may also search by subject headings or also called topics. These are special terms that describe the content of the book.
The following subject terms are linked to online catalog search results.
Communication in Organizations
Communication in the Family
Mass Media and Sports
Sex in Advertising
E-Books will be linked in the library catalog, but you can also browse publisher's collections of E-Books. The guide to E-Books has more information accessing and reading E-Books from different publishers. E-Books come from different publishers on different software platforms. Some of the most common platforms for E-Books include:
EBL CARLI eBooks
HathiTrust digital library of current and historical digitized books from worldwide libraries
MyMediaMall - popular audiobooks, ebooks, and videos. Instructions
Gale Virtual Reference Library
Sage Knowledge E-Reference Collection
Search the list to check for access to a journal:
Selected journals in and related to Communication Studies
Adbusters - call number HF5801 .A14x (2011to present, in print)
Basic Communication Course Annual - call number P91.3 .B338 (2000 to present, in print)
Communication, Culture and Critique (ISSN 1753-9129)
Communication Theory (ISSN 1050-3293)
Critical Studies in Media Communication (ISSN 1529-5036)
FCC Record (ISSN 1057-5766) (UNT portal) or FCC Record (ISSN 1057-5766) (FCC Search tools)
Group & Organization Management (ISSN 1059-6011) call number HM134 .G731x (1992-2006)
Health Communication (ISSN 1041-0236) 1989 - 18 months ago in Communication & Mass Media Complete, 1997 - present in Taylor & Francis Online
Human Communication Research (ISSN 0360-3989)
Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media (ISSN 0883-8151)
Journal of Communication (ISSN 0021-9916)
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication (ISSN 1083-6101)
Journal of Public Relations Research (ISSN 1062-726X) 1992 - 18 months ago in Communication & Mass Media Complete, 1997 - present in Taylor & Francis Online.
Literature/Film Quarterly (ISSN 0090-4260)
Public Relations Review (ISSN 0363-8111) 1975 - 2011 in Booth Library Periodicals, 4 years ago - present in Science Direct Journals
Public Relations Tactics (ISSN 1080-6792)
Quarterly Journal of Speech (ISSN 0033-5630) 1928 - 18 months ago in Communication & Mass Media Complete, 1997 - present in Taylor & Francis Online
Sex Roles (ISSN 0360-0025)
Do you have a citation? : use the Citation matcher to see if Booth suscribes to the journal.
To locate journal articles online or in print on a topic, use an article database.
Databases appropriate for doing research in the Social Sciences
A-Z list of all databases accessible via Booth Library (100+)
Selected article indexes
Communication & Mass Media Complete
Indexing for journals in all areas related to communication studies and mass media. CMMC offers full text for 350 titles and contains citation coverage for additional 660 sources.
Business Source Elite
Topics: Business | Management | Economics | Finance | Banking | Accounting | Company Profiles & Financials
Humanities International Complete
Topics: Authors | Artists | Musicians | Literature & Theater Criticism | Fiction, Short Story, Poetry, Drama Criticism | Photography | Painting | Music | Theater | Graphic Arts | Film | Contemporary Arts | Society & Culture
PsycARTICLES, from the American Psychological Association (APA), is a definitive source of full-text, peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific articles in psychology. Contains more than 45,000 articles from 57 journals - 46 published by the American Psychological Association (APA) and 11 from allied organizations. 1985 to present.
Citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed articles, dissertations, and technical reports on all areas of psychology (1887 to present). Some fulltext journal articles available.
Social Sciences Abstracts
Citations and abstracts of journal articles in all areas of the social sciences (1983 to present).
Additional Communication Studies resources
Databases, websites, journals, ebooks and research guides related to Communication Studies.
Communication Studies Web Resources
- Ad*Access Presents images and database information for over 7,000 advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines between 1911 and 1955.
- Advertising Age Advertising Age is one of the most well-known advertising publications. The website has far more than just the magazine articles and is a research destination in itself. This is an important site for anyone interested in advertising.
- AdViews: A Digital Archive of Vintage Television Commercials A free digital archive of television commercials from the 1950`s to the 1980`s. The materials on this web site are made available for use in research, teaching and private study. Although the material on this web site is publicly accessible for the limited purposes described above, some material is not in the public domain. Copyright in specific materials may be owned by Duke University, by another institution, or by an individual. Each collection may have specific copyright information and usage rules.
- American Communication Association ACA was created to promote academic and professional research, criticism, teaching, practical use, and exchange of principles and theories of human communication.
- American Rhetoric Gateway to useful resources, famous speeches, etc.
- Association for Education in Journalism and Communication The Association is a non-profit, educational association of journalism and mass communication faculty, administrators, students and media professionals
- Broadcast Education Association The BEA is the professional association for professors, industry professionals and graduate students who are interested in teaching and research related to electronic media and multimedia enterprises.
- Center for Media and Public Affairs One of the foremost authorities on US media providing studies of media content.
- Center for Public Integrity: Investigative Journalism in the Public Interest The mission of the Center for Public Integrity is to produce original, responsible investigative journalism to make institutional power more transparent and accountable
- Chicago Examiner William Randolph Hearst was a titan of the 20th century newspaper world, and he purchased and started papers in dozens of American cities. One of his morning papers was the Chicago Examiner, which began its run in 1902. The Chicago Public Library has an impressive archive of the Examiner from 1908 to 1918. Although the collection is incomplete, it remains the longest run of the paper still available.
- Communication Institute for Online Studies (CIOS) CIOS is a not-for-profit academic organization whose goal is to support research and education in communications-related disciplines (human communication studies, speech communication, rhetoric, journalism, mass communication, etc.) and to provide support for research and development of new technologies relevant to this mission
- History of Televised Debates Interactive exploration of televised presidential debates
- Indianz.com Information on Native American Issues
- International Communication Association ICA is an international association for scholars interested in the study, teaching and application of all aspects of human and mediated communication.
- Media History Digital Library A non-profit initiative dedicated to digitizing collections of classic media periodicals that belong in the public domain for full public access.
- National Communication Association NCA is a scholarly society and as such works to enhance the research, teaching, and service produced by its members on topics of both intellectual and social significance.
- Pew Research Center for the People and Press Access the Pew Center`s collection of public-opinion surveys and public policy documents.